Welcome Friends and Family

Here starts my journal of thoughts... preparing for, during, and after the MAD DTS with YWAM. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, etc.

11.13.2007

Lecture Week 4 and 5

Last week were the lectures that focused on "The Father Heart of God," with a man named Ken Helser. I really enjoyed his sweet presence and the ways he displayed the Father's love for us. At times it was overwhelming(in a good way), and sometimes I couldn't even specify an exact reason for the emotions that came out of me. He said to me once that the tears are because I'm healing, which I fully believe. I've become more comfortable with being broken in front of the people here with whom I've connected. And now that we're into the next week, the healing and tears haven't necessarily stopped. I think healing is continual as long as you allow yourself to be open, even if there is a new lecturer with a completely different subject.

This week we've had a speaker named Danny Lehmann here teaching us about Evangelism. As I looked over my handbook in the beginning of the DTS, this was the one lecture week that I really questioned... or had very judgemental thoughts about. I've been challenged.... Last night we watched a Nooma video (Rob Bell's teaching series) called Bullhorn. I'm awful at summaries, but basically Rob is attacking the man who stands on the corner of the streets screaming "REPENT, TURN, OR BURN...helll fire and brimstone".... I agree with Rob that it actually probably does more harm than any good. We also watched a video from a guy who responded to Rob's that spoke about how you can't just love love love because you've not told them the gospel. Actually, I did a horrible job explaining the last video. I lost all respect for that one because he started out ripping on Rob, instead of just getting his own point across. So, all of that to say, the speaker talked a lot about all different ways to evangelize. My summary of the week was that there were some good things I got out of it, but it was a good week to continue my own processing of last week. Does that make any sense?
It's like this, I didn't feel the need to fully engage and listen to every single word he was saying, I could let in what I wanted and knew was good for me to hear and let everything else filter out and process my stuff. Yeah... Evangelism is a tough subject to speak on and I reckon that the folks who speak on it are the confrontational ones (which is a style of evangelism) because they are the most outwardly passionate about their style. So, though he tried to be balanced on all the different ways, he definitely favored his own style.
The end.

I hope to post again tomorrow before I leave for Schoolies to Byron Bay... Schoolies is like the American's Spring Break time. We'll be doing our music arts and dance stuff on the beach! I'm so excited!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi Lisa,
Just want you to know I am keeping up with your blog. It sounds like you are very open to what God is up to in your life. That's good to know. Sometimes big changes can happen just by being out of our normal surroundings. Last weekend I was at a silent retreat and it was unlike anything I've ever done. I'm still processing things...Anyway, keep writing!