Welcome Friends and Family

Here starts my journal of thoughts... preparing for, during, and after the MAD DTS with YWAM. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, etc.

3.25.2008

Outreach in AussieLand

Last week our "outreach" activities involved working at a music festival called "Easterfest." I had the great job of manning the art gallery. It really was a sweet deal, the others had really odd jobs around the festival.
Being at the festival was interesting, as I've only been to Sonshine in Wilmar, MN... it definitely was different, less space here and a lot of different things to do and check out. Like, our tent for example was the "Chai Circle"... we served hot chai and had little concerts. One of the days we actually had Geoff Moore in our tent talking about, well I don't remember actually what the topic was, but he talked about an experience in Haiti so I of course was hooked!! If you don't know who Geoff Moore is.. he's a singer from the mid 90's... "I've Got a Friend Like You... (and you, and you an dyou and you)....... Oh the days of Youth Choir....
Anyways... that was one funny highlight... since it's not like he's my favorite by any means. Other highlights were, well... okay highlights is not a good word because it wasn't like the best music festival ever... BUT watching the Newsboys IN Australia, where two of the original band members (who are still with them) are from was pretty cool. They were telling stories about how when they first started out they sold these things called "Lamington's" to get money. Lamington's are along the lines of a "Snowball" cake thing... but they are in strips and small... they actually remind me of this thing you can get a gas stations... usually raspberry with coconut covering them. I miss Phil Joel being with them, they're just not the same anymore.
Jars of Clay also performed, but I wasn't that impressed with them either... I think I prefer them on albums rather than in concert. Some of there new stuff almost harkens the sound of the 80s... ick... for those of you from work who may read this, I was really thinking about Shofar during this one song... it was so strange!! They did do some of there old stuff, so that was cool, but they just didn't have a good stage presence... I've seen them before and liked them better, maybe they had an off day. :)

We got back on Sunday late night, then woke up early on Monday to go to a city called Ipswich to help out with their "Easter Monday FUnday"... I painted faces of children for about 7hours with only about 30mins/less break!! It was insane and intense... and actually went pretty fast surprisingly.
Tuesday (yesterday) was our day off and then today the Czech team went to a church and painted a chunk of a wall outside... it was really fun! Hot and sweaty, but we all worked together and had good conversation, etc. This is something I think we lacked on our outreach to Czech, I think we would have done much better to do some of these types of things before leaving. It really cultivates comradery within the team.
Tomorrow is unknown to me at the moment, but I think tonight we'll find out our schedule for the rest of the week.

That's about it for now.... One month and a day to go until I am back in MN!!

Cheers

No comments: