Welcome Friends and Family

Here starts my journal of thoughts... preparing for, during, and after the MAD DTS with YWAM. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, etc.

1.04.2008

Happy New Year at Coff's Harbor!

This post comes out to you tonight (this morning) in Coff's Harbor... and it's New Year's Day! It's the beginning of 2008 and I'm living in the first hours of it before any of you in the United States (assuming only Americans are reading this)... Boo yah! ...

On this outreach we have what is called "The Chai Tent" where the musicians jam, dancers perform, and the artists create and possibly sell their paintings. All the while, passers-by have the opportunity to come in, grab a free Chai Tea (served cold in the day, and hot at night), chill-lax and converse with others in the tent.

Today was very windy and a tad on the cool side of things... I have to be so very careful saying it's "cold" because most of you are currently in lands of tundra. But, being that I'm in Australia, it's not the typical weather... in fact last week on Christmas they set a record for the coldest one to date! I couldn't tell you the official degree, especially because they use Celsius instead of Fairenheight (sp?). Why does the U.S. have to do EVERYTHING different from the rest of the free world?! That's a WHOLE 'nother can o' worms though.
On to the day... besides being cold, it was SO windy, I was pretty sure the tent could blow down. Upon getting to the tent (we sleep at a church in nearby.... the tent is set up just off a creek that flows into the ocean), we went on prayer walks around the park that surrounded the tent and then came together again to worship. It was a powerful time, I felt like God led me to pray (during the walk) for the people of Coff's to be able to see the glory and beauty of God's creation. I thought about how easy it would be to take for granted such a beautiful place if you're living in it day to day. I'm the first to admit I rush through the day without enjoying the beauty He has created, even at home in Minnesota. So, I prayed that His beautiful creation would draw them closer to the one God who created it and us all. The cool part was when another girl shared that she too, had the same leading. Some would write that off as just a coincidence, but I believe that it really was God speaking into what He desired us to pray.
After our worship time we opened the walls and began the day reaching out to onlookers, etc. I intended on painting, and ended up adding to a painting I had started yesterday by just drawing with pencil what I was going to do next. It ended up that I never did paint over the pencil because lunch was soon and then after lunch i never made my way to the art corner. Instead I decided to sit down by the "kids corner" and from that moment on I was captured by the attention of Gunnleik's daughers (the school leader), Linea (5) and Rose (9). We colored in a coloring book for a good 45mins/hour and then I had my arm "tattooed" with art from Rose, she did very well for her age! Such sweet girls... they are norwegian and know both their native language AND english, but have an australian english accent... it's quite funny(the aussie accent). That time was pretty much the highlight of my day... sounds a bit strange as I sit here and read that, being that I'm an adult and it is New Year's.. the fact that it brought me back to being at home with my niece and nephew could have a slight bit to do with it.... but really it was finally being able to be with kids again as well. For 3mos. I hadn't had much contact at all with little kids and had started to wonder if I'd ever!
We had a big party for New Years Eve, the best part of that were fireworks on the beach. They were far away, and the end was very anti-climactic, but better than nothing... I can't say I've ever watched fireworks over the ocean before. There were some really cool ones, too, that looked like lava shooting out of a volcano! I tried to take videos, but whenever I'd start recording something that looked cool, it would end because they didn't have it timed very well.

So, what will 2008 bring my way? Hmm... well, this whole DTS thing is one big new beginning for me.. not to mention that I've had many people speak words of newness over me... which relate to many aspects of my life. It's not like I'm going to have a whole new career or anything... but new creations and ways to create and blend together the passions that are inside of me.

Another year I dedicate to the Lord... I believe that you will do great things in me and those around me.... Amen

2 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

Thank you for being a faithful blogger. I love these glimpses into your world!

Lisa said...

thanks for the encouragement... sometimes i feel i don't do it enough